Sunday 20 May, 2007

WINNING TIMES!!

Saturday, 15th April 2006
INDIA TAKES ON ENGLAND IN THE LAST MATCH OF THE TVS CUP AT INDORE…
These were the headlines on the sports page of the leading English daily….

A match at Indore. I’d been waiting for this since the schedule for England’s tour of India
had been announced some 2 months back.
So what if England had lost 4 out of the 5 matches of the series. After all every new match had it’s own share of excitement. England were playing badly in the one-dayers (considering their performance in the tests, they had captured the Ashes after beating Australia 2-1…This victory had come after 18 long years…last one being in 1987) but that wasn’t my worry!!

My sessional exams were to begin on 15th April, the day of the match (such an auspicious date). But then you see miracles do happen…and in my case they did!!
My exams were rescheduled and now they were to start from 17th April (as if it made a difference).
Now my problem, the first paper-Pathology and Microbiology. Microbiology was interesting (bacteria and their sterilization) but I wish I could say the same for Pathology (I never could develop a liking for it). Better still I hadn’t studied it till now (so clever of me!!)

Well whatever, I had to watch the match…anyhow!! Dad being a member of the MPCA (Madhya Pradesh cricket association) was entitled to 2 passes for the match.
Great!!
THANK GOODNESS FOR SMALL MERCIES (in this case it was a big mercy!!)

“How are going to manage your studies? ”, aai’s query.
Arre, its Sunday the day after…Waise bhi it’s not that tough, course bhi kam hai”, my confident answer.
“Fine then you can go”
This was 14th afternoon. That same night I don’t know what prompted me into saying this-“Aai, if you wish you and Akshu can go watch the match…I got to study”.
(Ye maine kya keh diya?)

Aai was more than happy…and all I did was bang my head on the bed…hard!!!
The next morning, dad, mom and Akshu left me alone at home and went to see the match.
I tried studying but all the while my eyes were glued on to the TV set. India had won the toss and had put England in to bat…they were 288 all out in their fifty overs…



At around 1p.m mom called “Akshu wants to come home…if you want you can come here and bring along one of your friends”…I pinched myself… “Was it really aai’s voice”…who else could it be…how foolish of me!!

Phone in my hand I dialled Priyanka’s number. “Free hai naa…chal match dekhne chalte hai”. She was like “Mera paper hai Monday ko…(she’s studying engineering) par no problem manage kar lungi…(he he)…reach your place in half an hour”
“Done, I’ll wait for you”


We reached the stadium late…(the damning traffic!!)The last ten overs of India’s batting…and the Indians were cruising along. Yuvraj Singh and Suresh Raina were at the crease…


We found our seats and grabbing a can of coke each sat down to enjoy the match
The whole atmosphere was rocking; the chants of “JEETEGA BHAI JEETEGA, INDIA JEETEGA” and girls shouting “Yuvi, Yuvi” made me realize what it was like to watch a match LIVE.



In a cricket crazy nation like ours there’s never a dull moment in any match…
As Yuvraj hit the winning runs the whole stadium erupted!!!
India had won the match by 7 wickets and the series 5-1…hurray!!!
And I had seen the match (a part of it…) LIVE!!
Shreesanth was declared man of the match for his 6 wickets and India found a new opener in Robin Uthappa who scored 86…everything had gone India’s way!!

As Rahul Dravid lifted the cup we promised each other not to tell the other girls about our adventure (nahi tha kya??)
Wow, the feeling was yet to sink in and as we chatted about the final moments of the match, smiles just couldn’t leave our faces…

I did manage to pass my patho-micro exam (pura din aur raat padhna pada) and our secret remained one till I myself revealed it here!!
I know Priyanka won’t have a problem with that!!! What say???

10 comments:

GS =D said...

aah.. watching a match live..

man!!>. its awesum... its amazing.. u know.. i have seen all the matches which take place @ wankhede.. seen arnd 10-11 matches... but everytime i go.. i feel as if i have come for the first time 2 se the match..

Though India lost most of the times.. but watching it LIVE juz makes u feel so good tat u dont even care whether India's losing or winning..

The atmosphere is sooo eletrifying.. hope u go n watch the complete match the next time wen u go... ;-)

PS: btw.. i juz HATE cricket.. though i m good wid the stats n d current news in the cricket's circuit.. i juz HATE to watch India's matches.. DAMN.. THEY CAN'T EVEN WIN A SINGLE MATCH X(

Parag said...

The only match i wanna watch LIVE is the Milan derby at SAN-SIRO!!
Cricket match live??? wudnt go for it If Indias playing, even if Sachin tendulkar come to my place and beseeches me to come!!

DAMN Indian CRICKET!!!

DreAmgiRL said...

gr88...!

Winnie said...

hey gaargi and doc u too!!
hmm, i agree indian cricket is down in the dumps but c'mon there's much more to cricket than india and sachin alone!!
well u see i luv cricket, cant help it..its in my blood!
and india or no india the spirit of the game rocks!!

p.s- not just cricket, every sport shud be known by the way its played...players are never above the game!!!!

GS =D said...

yeah... i agree wid u... PLAYERS r NEVER above the game...

ARE Schumi fans n Sfans n Tigerwoods' fans listening??...


P.s: din include Federer.. coz he is an awesum individual.. ;-)

Pyromaniaaac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pyromaniaaac said...

True.. i agree that players are never above the game.. But the players do take the game to a different level altogether...
A game is associated for the player who plays it..
If any lame person thinks of football, he thinks of maradona and pele.. of F1, he thinks of michael schumacher,alain prost and ayrton senna..
and so on...
So even if players are not above the game, the game cant survive without the players... they go hand in hand...

@Winnie..
Wud u have risked ur exam and rushed to the stadium to watch India B or Kenya play Bangladesh???

Winnie said...

@gaargi..yes federer's different than the rest but tht doesnt mean i dont enjoy tennis if he's not playing!!

@doc
why not??
the question isnt just abt my examz!!
make ur perspective broader.everything's related u c..
if ppl start watching domestic and other matches as well..the players will perform better and so the national teams shall benefit for sure!!

Pyromaniaaac said...

Rather, id say, if ppl stop watching cricket.. the performance will improve..
demented ppl r treating cricketers as Gods when they dont deserve that status.. when they'll ve to play in front of empty stadiums, they'll understand their worth and start performing better

Winnie said...

alrite doc..will try doing tht!!