Sunday 23 December, 2007

Quiz me again!!!

“There’s this interschool quiz tomorrow, are you and Avani interested in participating in it???”
Tomorrow was Sunday & Monday onwards our unit tests (hmm…sadly those happened every other month) were to begin.


“Its just the written round, you could always give it a try.” Our teacher had to say something, as all we did was stand and stare at her and then at each other. We did want to participate but those tests weren’t allowing us to decide.
The next thing I remember is calling up our respective moms (back then in class VIII, mummy knew best…for me she still knows best :p)

Our moms were pretty cool, “Of course u can participate, what’s the harm??”
There wasn’t going to be any harm unless we fared poorly in those unit tests (!!!) That’s another story though…; )


The quiz venue was interesting in itself- St Paul Boys School (please, no raised eyebrows!) Avani was late, thanks to a flat bicycle tyre but we managed to be in time (well, the school being a 5 min. walk from my place)
Now that I think of it the written round was a quite simply, a cakewalk…

Then came the semifinal (not without its own hiccups), the next Sunday. By then our tests were over and well the results werent that bad. (…Hehe)

I distinctly remember nibbling those potato chips (provided by the sponsors), while waiting for my chance to get on stage for the quiz. We did sail through the semis as well.

Ah! The final was quite awesome…the whole atmosphere buzzed with the noises of students cheering their schools, parents eager to witness their wards coming out on top…that reminds me…I’d strictly told my Aai and Pappa not to be there (I knew I’d be nervous if they came) But who listens to me…they did come!!


Before the start of the quiz I remember avani and me eyeing the magnificent trophy…how we longed to hold it in our hands, to win it, possess it!!

Being in the finals, competing against 4 other top schools was in itself an achievement.
That Saturday when we’d called up our moms, who’d have thought of it…at that time doing well in tests was all we cared about.

But now we wanted to win and it was the only thing that mattered.

The stage was finally set…10 rounds…one winner.
The excitement was palpable, round 1… 2, …3…4, it went on and on.
We lead in one round, just to concede it in the next. It went neck to neck. The uncertainty prevailed till the very last round…rapid fire…we answered most of the questions and the other schools just couldn’t catch up…Hurrah! We’d won…. yeah we’ won!
How ecstatic we were…the gleaming trophy looked awesome in our hands.

The moment was overwhelming…we’d made all Raphaelites and ourselves proud.

As I think of those days I realize it’s not worth worrying about little things (those unit tests,u see) in life. It’s about seizing your opportunities, exploring new horizons, treading those unknown paths and most importantly following your heart…sounds cliché but that’s just the way it is!!!:)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

well thats true, when I read your lines, i tried to remember how many unit tests, minors, majors I've taken the count was hardly 4 or 5 but there are other things which I recalled easily like cricket in the class room, the wild life sanctuary we visited, class bunk for movies. As for the quiz my GK is very poor and I dont remember if there was a quiz on cricket or movies in our school, but it was fun.

Nice work keep it up.

Anonymous said...

well... I remember the time...
Interschool finals... Rapidfire round... last question I hit the buzzer the first... had to get it right cause we were 10 pts behind and the correct answer wud have given us 20 and the trophy...

"Spell LIEUTENANT"

The smile just lit my face... I had it... the trophy... the fame...

"Write it down first..." My partner said...

"naah... I know it like i know my own name..."

"L-I-E-U-T-A-N-A-N-T"

The other team pumped their fists and hugged each other...

I cudnt understand why... and when i realized what I had done... theo over confident me had lost our school the coveted prize...

I still think abt tht incident and remorse... what cud had been...

*sigh*

Winnie said...

okies..@ doc-is tht one reason why u r so gud at scrabble???
anyways i was a bit lucky tht time but havent been always....!!
*big sigh*